First the United Nations and now the Houses of Parliament: two world-class institutions that have chosen to install the L3 MacDonald Humfrey MachSecure® product range as their equipment of choice when it comes to protecting officials and lawmakers.
Houses of Parliament - London.
- To ensure that Parliament remains a safe and accessible place for those who work within and visit Parliament
- Reduce bottlenecks and related inconvenience to members of the public and to Members of Parliament whose busy schedules are disrupted by delays
- Do away with long, unsightly queues
- Protect Westminster Palace and Portcullis House, key access and entry points
- Implement security solution that offers reduced queues plus flexibility for security staff to be allocated to other duties in less busy times
- Create a warm welcome for visitors with an efficient throughput in security search facilities
- Improved security compliance
- Significant improvement to visitor and Member throughput
- Flexibility to reallocate security staff resource during non-peak times
- Enhanced visitor experience
Behind the United Kingdom’s famous Big Ben sit the Houses of Parliament. This iconic international symbol of democracy attracts more than 100 million visitors each year, not just visitors whose business is primarily parliamentary but also those who wish to see Members at work or simply to view this iconic building and its works of art and explore the history and heritage of this great estate.
Parliaments desire to improve the welcome it offers its visitors who arrive in large numbers is allied with its concern to ensure that Parliament remains a safe and accessible place for those who work and visit there.
To this end, a range of security measures were considered, including "airport style" search and screening.
After the United Nations selected Mach-SmartLane to protect UN interests in Vienna, the decision by the Houses of Parliament to deploy Mach-SmartLane
Mach-SmartLane and Mach-SmartView are two core products from the Mach-Secure airport security portfolio designed specifically for airport and other critical infrastructure security. Deployment of these products by the Houses of Parliament, enhances security and efficiency of processing visitors at some of the most visited buildings in the World and is a testament to the effectiveness and ease of installation of the Mach-Secure product range.
The equipment, which was installed as part of an upgrade project by Rapiscan Systems Ltd., went into successful operation in February 2013.